Kohlrabi Hash Browns
From Farmer John’s Cookbook: The Real Dirt on Vegetables. By Farmer John Peterson and Angelic Organics via our customer Karen and her work at the FARMS Community Kitchen. Thanks Karen!
Serves 4 to 5
- 4 medium kohlrabi bulbs (about 1 pound total)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tbsp. dried bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Peel and grate kohlrabi. Wrap in dish towel and squeeze away excess water.
- Combine eggs, onion, bread crumbs, salt, ginger, red pepper and black pepper in a large mixing bowl. Blend together.
- Add kohlrabi and mix together.
- If desired, roll into 1 inch balls.
- Heat oil in large, heavy skillet. Add kohlrabi mixture or balls to skillet. Flatten the balls with spatula or continuously mix the mixture.
- When golden brown, flip the flattened balls. (5 to 7 minutes per side)